After a sugar fuelled weekend catering for and attending two childrens’ parties, this week we find ourselves craving something altogether more wholesome and balanced. The sugar come-down coupled with midweek mania has us reaching for a tried and tested favourite in the form of an ultra comforting and super speedy bowl of soup.
This recipe is comes from Eminé Rushton, author of Ayurvedic eating guide The Body Balance Diet Plan, a fantastic resource for natural, holistic recipes, packed with the good stuff. We highly recommend checking out the site.
The Chilly Day Lentil soup is a favourite of ours, full of micro nutrients, immune boosting goodies, and perhaps most importantly taste. This midweek staple is the perfect supper for the kids or a take to work lunch for you.
We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
3 small cloves of sliced garlic
1 small chopped onion
2 chopped celery stalks
Around 10 small, ripe vine tomatoes
A handful of red lentils
1 tsp tamarind paste
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 pinch of red chilli flakes / cayenne pepper / chilli powder
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp of cider vinegar
2 tsp of dried organic vegetable bouillon
A sieve full of baby spinach / ¼ of a shredded head of seasonal cabbage
1 tbsp of rice flour / a handful of cooked basmati rice
Freshly ground black pepper
- 1In a food processor, blitz the garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, celery, onion, tamarind, coriander, cumin, chilli, turmeric and rice flour / cooked rice. Blitz to a coarse paste
- 2Spoon your paste into a saucepan and stir on a medium heat for 4 /5 minutes
- 3Add your tomato paste, cider vinegar and bouillon and cover with water until you have the consistency of a thin soup (it will thicken with the lentils and rice)
- 4Bring to the boil and simmer for an hour or so. Season generously with sea salt and black pepper
- 5Add your spinach leaves or shredded cabbage and simmer for a further ten minutes or so. Finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
The recipe from this piece was taken with thanks entirely from The Balance Plan and can be found here.